Tuesday, July 10, 2007

JD or MRS?


I currently have no life of my own so I spend way too much time looking into the affairs of others. My school was kind enough to email me a list of my future classmates. I decided to use the information for evil... looking them up on the Internet and in turn forming preconceived notions about them. A truly wonderful way to spend a Tuesday.

The worst case scenario would be a classroom full of the types of people I met while living in Libertyville (with the aim of keeping my anonymity the names of people and places have been changed to protect the innocent as well as the guilty). These women appear to be ambitious... but what they really are, is after a man. No joke. A wolf in sheep's clothing. They appear to be concerned about social issues, looking to change the world or at least their communities but REALLY they are looking for the ultimate prize, a two carat diamond from Tiffany's. This brings me to another story...I don't know if it is exactly funny but it is telling.

So I am sitting in the SF airport waiting for a flight to some point east and I happen to be wearing my college sweatshirt. I am staring longingly at my laptop hoping to pick up a wireless signal when an older couple interrupt me. They tell me their grandson went to X school and that he majored in engineering. I act appropriately impressed ( It's not like I hadn't met millions of beer swilling engineering students but who am I to ruin their fantasy?). Anyhow after a few minutes of chit-chat the man looks at me and says, "having any luck getting your MRS. degree?" and then he has the nerve to wink. I smile and make some excuse about needing coffee NOW.

1 comment:

nurse2be said...

what a jerk. as if a husband is all we need. or is it? just kidding. but honestly i am weirded out by that old man's comment. it's like when my dad told me i needed to go to college in case my husband divorced me. i'm pretty sure he was joking but you never know......